Dogs give us so much and ask for nothing in return. Treat your deserve pooch to an extra special tasty meal this Thanksgiving to show your gratitude for all their unconditional love and companionship. This savory recipe is easy to make, nutritious, and sure to delight your dog!
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 pound ground turkey
1 small carrot, chopped or grated
1/4 cup green peas
1 cup unseasoned stuffing bread cubes
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 tablespoon flour
2 cups turkey or chicken stock
1. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the turkey and cook until light brown, about 2 minutes.
2. Add the chopped carrot and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the peas and lower the heat to low.
4. Stir in the bread cubes and remove from the heat.
5. In a small skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
6. Whisk in the flour, then add 1 cup turkey stock and cook, whisking constantly, until the gravy thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
7. Soften the stuffing with the remaining 1 cup stock.
8. Place in a bowl for your pup and let cool for about 5 minutes.
9. Top with the gravy and let cool for another minute before serving.
Recipe Courtesy of Rachel Ray Magazine.
All dogs love peanut butter! These tasty treats are not only simple to make – They look like high end gourmet dog cookies. These delicious dog treats are perfect for your pampered pup and also make great gifts!
• 2 cups whole wheat flour
• 1/2 cup rolled oats
• 2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
• 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 cup strawberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 325° F
2. Whisk together the flour, oats and cinnamon.
3. Place the peanut butter, chicken broth and water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 15 seconds. Stir together the warm peanut butter and liquids. If needed, microwave again for 10 to 15 seconds. Stir again until all of the liquid is incorporated into the peanut butter.
4. Make a well in the dry ingredients.
5. Pour the peanut butter mixture into the dry ingredients and stir, using a fork, until a dough forms.
6. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
7. Using a tablespoon sized cookie scooper, scoop out rounded balls onto the prepared baking sheet.
8. Create an indentation, and flatten each cookie.
9. Bake for 15 minutes. Leave the peanut butter dog treats in the oven, once it’s turned off, to cool.
10. Once the dog treats are completely cooled, place the jam in a microwave safe container.
11. Microwave for 10 seconds. Then stir the jam. If needed, microwave for another 10 seconds and stir. You want a smooth liquid consistency.
12. Using a 1/2 teaspoon, gently spoon the jam into each cookies indentation.
13. Let the jam cool completely before moving the dog treats.
Storing – These peanut butter dog treats are delicate with the addition of the jam. First, they need to be stored in a single layer as the jam does not harden completely. Once in a air tight container, like a freezer bag, they can be kept in the refrigerator for one week. Store them in the freezer for up to four months. These gourmet dog treats will keep fresh longer without the jam middle. You can bake the cookies, not adding the jam, and keep them in the refrigerator for up to two weeks and in the freezer for up to 6 months. Then before you serve, follow the last four steps of this recipe.
Yield – Using a tablespoon sized cookie scooper, this recipe will make 30 dog cookies.
Recipe courtesy of dogtreatkitchen.com
Cool off your hot dog this weekend with a delicious and nutritious summer treat! Nothing says summer like homemade ice cream and these healthy treats are sure to please your hungry hound!
2 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground clove
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup peanut Butter
1 can light coconut milk
1 tsp Knox gelatin powder
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp unsweetened pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat 1/4 cup coconut milk.
- Add gelatin to 1/4 cup coconut milk. Stir well.
- Pour in 1/4 cup heated coconut milk and stir until gelatin is fully dissolved.
- Pour in remaining coconut milk & place in refrigerator.
- In a blender or food processor, grind the oatmeal into a rough flour.
- Toss it into a large bowl and sift in Kolchak’s flour mix.
- Add pumpkin, peanut butter, egg & pie spice.
- Mix well. Dough should be loose, but not gooey. If required, add additional flour to make it workable.
- Turn out dough onto floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to 1/4″ thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut into bone shapes.
- Place on parchment or silicone lined baking sheets.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden on the edges. When done, place on cooling rack.
- Ice Cream
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, peanut butter, coconut milk, vanilla, and pie spice. Mix well.
- Place in ice cream machine and allow to churn.
- If you don’t have an ice cream machine, place ice cream mix in freezer. Every half hour or so, place in blender and blend. Repeat at least twice.
- Line a cool baking sheet with plastic wrap. Scoop ice cream out onto baking sheet, place another layer of plastic wrap over it and pat it flat.
- Place in freezer to set.
- Once frozen, use cookie cutter to cut into bone shapes.
- Assemble into sandwiches. Store in freezer.
Recipe courtesy of kolchakpuggle.com
Memorial Day Weekend is a perfect time to relax in the sun with your furry friend. Help keep them cool with these delicious treats! Made of only 3 ingredients, this is a quick, simple, and nutritious snack any overheated pup is sure to appreciate! This treat is messy, so it’s best to serve it outside!
2 cups low salt beef or chicken broth
2/3 cup water
2 or 3 ice cube trays
Small rawhide sticks
1. Mix water with beef or chicken broth and pour into popcicle trays.
2. Place in freezer.
3. Add a rawhide stick halfway through the freezing.
4. Ready to serve when frozen through
Nothing says hello to warm weather like fresh berries! Strawberries are truly the embodiment of summertime and we humans aren’t the only ones who enjoy these delicious berries – Our canine companions do too! Berries are full of antioxidants that are just as beneficial to dogs as they are to humans. This simple to make recipe is sure to become a new favorite for your pooch. Containing only 5 ingredients and a few quick steps, it’s sure to please you as well!
1/2 cup Strawberries
1 medium Banana
1/4 cup Milk
1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Puree strawberries and mash bananas then mix together.
3. In a large bowl combine the strawberries and the bananas with the rest of the ingredients until well mixed.
4. Roll out dough on heavily floured surface (the dough is very sticky) 1/4 inch thick.
5. Cut into shapes with the cutter of your choice.
6. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets and poke with a fork to prevent air bubbles.
7. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
8. Cool and refrigerate
Recipe courtesy of Doggy Dessert Chef.
Want to include your pup in your Easter Celebration? Try a batch of these delicious and nutritious cookies your dog is sure to love! You can hide them along with your Easter eggs so your pup can play along. This quick and easy recipe is sure to please!
2 Cups of grated carrots
1/2 Cup of dog kibble
2 Jars of beef baby food (small jars)
1/2 Cup of plain non-fat yogurt
2 Cups of wheat flour
1 Teaspoon of baking powder
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
2. Put the dog food in a food processor or blender and grind to a fine powder.
3. In a large bowl, combine the kibble powder, carrots, yogurt, and baby food and blend well.
4. Add baking powder to mixture and blend.
5. Once these ingredients are blended, slowly add the wheat flour.
6. Knead with your hands for at least three to five minutes. The dough will be “chunky” because of the carrots. (If you don’t want chunky dough, you can blend with the dog food in a food processor.)
7. On a flat, floured surface roll out dough to desired thickness.
8. Using Easter cookie cutters, cut out shapes and place on a greased cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner! You can instill a little luck o’ the Irish in your pup with this delicious and very festive dog treat recipe. Instead of food coloring, these healthy yet tasty dog treats get their beautiful green hue from mother nature! A nutritious snack sure to help your pup paint the town green!
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 cup of frozen peas, cooked
1 cup of chopped spinach
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp sea salt
Optional – 1 additional egg for egg wash
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a big bowl, add flour and sea salt.
3. Puree the peas and spinach with the canola oil.
4. Add the green mixture to the flour, and crack in your egg on top.
5. Blend together until dough forms
6. Wrap in parchment paper and put in the fridge to chill for about 20 minutes.
7. Sprinkle dough with flour and roll out to about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
8. Use a shamrock cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
9. Lightly beat an egg and brush it on top of the treats to make them glossy. (This is an optional step)
10. Bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of My Dog’s Breakfast.
Don’t leave your loving pooch out on Valentine’s Day! Show your furry friend how much you care with a batch of these delicious and nutritious cupcakes! Made of all natural ingredients, these healthy and tasty treats are sure to capture your pooch’s heart!
For the cake:
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/3 cup butter (or 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
• 1/4 cup all-natural peanut butter
• 1 cup shredded carrots
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 1/2 tablespoons all-natural honey
• 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
For the frosting:
• 8 ounces of low-fat cream cheese
• 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini heart cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Mix the flour and baking soda. Add the peanut butter, vanilla, honey and oil/butter and stir. Add the buttermilk, 1/4 cup at a time. Stir in carrots.
3. Spoon the mixture into the mini heart cavities, filling each one three-quarters full. Bake for at least 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
4. While the cakes cook, prepare frosting by beating the cream cheese, vanilla and cinnamon together. Once the cakes have cooled, frost. Drizzle melted peanut butter on top or top with additional shredded carrots.
Yields: 10 mini cupcakes
Recipe courtesy of sheknows.com
Nothing brings the holidays to mind like the smell of fresh gingerbread baking. This holiday favorite is great for the whole family to enjoy and with this delicious, easy to prepare recipe, your pup can join in the holiday fun!
• 3 cups whole wheat flour
• 2 tbsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground cloves
• 1/2 cup molasses
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 325° F
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon and cloves until combined.
3. In a small bowl, using a sturdy spoon, stir together the molasses, water and canola oil.
4. Pour the molasses mixture into the flour.
5. Using the same sturdy spoon, stir ingredients until thoroughly combined.
6. Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness.
7. Use your favorite dog cookie cutters to cut shapes.
8. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
9. Place your cut outs on the baking sheet.
10. Continue to roll and cut out shapes with the remaining dough.
11. Bake for 20 minutes.
12. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Storing – This recipe for dog biscuits will keep fresh for several weeks in the refrigerator. They also freeze really well. Keep them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Yield – Using a 2 inch cookie cutter, you should yield approximately 28 dog biscuits.
Recipe courtesy of dogtreatkitchen.com.
Thanksgiving is a time of giving thanks and enjoying the company of your loved ones. Show your deserving pooch how thankful you are for their unconditional love and companionship with these delicious (and healthy!) dog treats.
2 lbs. ground turkey
2 cups cooked rice
8 oz. peas
3 carrots diced
1 apple, diced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well by hand.
3. On baking sheet, form into the shape of a large dog bone.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
5. Let cool and serve
(Recipe courtesy of bullwrinkle.com)