Nothing says hello to warm weather like fresh berries! Strawberries are truly the embodiment of summertime and we humans aren’t the only ones who enjoy these delicious berries – Our canine companions do too! Berries are full of antioxidants that are just as beneficial to dogs as they are to humans. This simple to make recipe is sure to become a new favorite for your pooch. Containing only 5 ingredients and a few quick steps, it’s sure to please you as well!
1/2 cup Strawberries
1 medium Banana
1/4 cup Milk
1 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Puree strawberries and mash bananas then mix together.
3. In a large bowl combine the strawberries and the bananas with the rest of the ingredients until well mixed.
4. Roll out dough on heavily floured surface (the dough is very sticky) 1/4 inch thick.
5. Cut into shapes with the cutter of your choice.
6. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets and poke with a fork to prevent air bubbles.
7. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
8. Cool and refrigerate
Recipe courtesy of Doggy Dessert Chef.
Want to include your pup in your Easter Celebration? Try a batch of these delicious and nutritious cookies your dog is sure to love! You can hide them along with your Easter eggs so your pup can play along. This quick and easy recipe is sure to please!
2 Cups of grated carrots
1/2 Cup of dog kibble
2 Jars of beef baby food (small jars)
1/2 Cup of plain non-fat yogurt
2 Cups of wheat flour
1 Teaspoon of baking powder
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
2. Put the dog food in a food processor or blender and grind to a fine powder.
3. In a large bowl, combine the kibble powder, carrots, yogurt, and baby food and blend well.
4. Add baking powder to mixture and blend.
5. Once these ingredients are blended, slowly add the wheat flour.
6. Knead with your hands for at least three to five minutes. The dough will be “chunky” because of the carrots. (If you don’t want chunky dough, you can blend with the dog food in a food processor.)
7. On a flat, floured surface roll out dough to desired thickness.
8. Using Easter cookie cutters, cut out shapes and place on a greased cookie sheet.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown.
St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner! You can instill a little luck o’ the Irish in your pup with this delicious and very festive dog treat recipe. Instead of food coloring, these healthy yet tasty dog treats get their beautiful green hue from mother nature! A nutritious snack sure to help your pup paint the town green!
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 cup of frozen peas, cooked
1 cup of chopped spinach
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp sea salt
Optional – 1 additional egg for egg wash
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a big bowl, add flour and sea salt.
3. Puree the peas and spinach with the canola oil.
4. Add the green mixture to the flour, and crack in your egg on top.
5. Blend together until dough forms
6. Wrap in parchment paper and put in the fridge to chill for about 20 minutes.
7. Sprinkle dough with flour and roll out to about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
8. Use a shamrock cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
9. Lightly beat an egg and brush it on top of the treats to make them glossy. (This is an optional step)
10. Bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of My Dog’s Breakfast.
Don’t leave your loving pooch out on Valentine’s Day! Show your furry friend how much you care with a batch of these delicious and nutritious cupcakes! Made of all natural ingredients, these healthy and tasty treats are sure to capture your pooch’s heart!
For the cake:
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/3 cup butter (or 1/4 cup vegetable oil)
• 1/4 cup all-natural peanut butter
• 1 cup shredded carrots
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 1/2 tablespoons all-natural honey
• 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
For the frosting:
• 8 ounces of low-fat cream cheese
• 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a mini heart cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Mix the flour and baking soda. Add the peanut butter, vanilla, honey and oil/butter and stir. Add the buttermilk, 1/4 cup at a time. Stir in carrots.
3. Spoon the mixture into the mini heart cavities, filling each one three-quarters full. Bake for at least 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
4. While the cakes cook, prepare frosting by beating the cream cheese, vanilla and cinnamon together. Once the cakes have cooled, frost. Drizzle melted peanut butter on top or top with additional shredded carrots.
Yields: 10 mini cupcakes
Recipe courtesy of sheknows.com
Nothing brings the holidays to mind like the smell of fresh gingerbread baking. This holiday favorite is great for the whole family to enjoy and with this delicious, easy to prepare recipe, your pup can join in the holiday fun!
• 3 cups whole wheat flour
• 2 tbsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground cloves
• 1/2 cup molasses
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 325° F
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon and cloves until combined.
3. In a small bowl, using a sturdy spoon, stir together the molasses, water and canola oil.
4. Pour the molasses mixture into the flour.
5. Using the same sturdy spoon, stir ingredients until thoroughly combined.
6. Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness.
7. Use your favorite dog cookie cutters to cut shapes.
8. Lightly spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
9. Place your cut outs on the baking sheet.
10. Continue to roll and cut out shapes with the remaining dough.
11. Bake for 20 minutes.
12. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Storing – This recipe for dog biscuits will keep fresh for several weeks in the refrigerator. They also freeze really well. Keep them in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Yield – Using a 2 inch cookie cutter, you should yield approximately 28 dog biscuits.
Recipe courtesy of dogtreatkitchen.com.
Thanksgiving is a time of giving thanks and enjoying the company of your loved ones. Show your deserving pooch how thankful you are for their unconditional love and companionship with these delicious (and healthy!) dog treats.
2 lbs. ground turkey
2 cups cooked rice
8 oz. peas
3 carrots diced
1 apple, diced
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well by hand.
3. On baking sheet, form into the shape of a large dog bone.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
5. Let cool and serve
(Recipe courtesy of bullwrinkle.com)
This past weekend marked the official start of autumn and nothing says “fall fun” like pumpkin flavored… everything! Let your pup get in on the action with these delightfully delicious and healthy dog treats. This simple to prepare recipe will have your furry friend begging for more!
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup oats
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Whisk together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, oats, and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. Add water as needed to help make the dough workable, but the dough should be dry and stiff. If dough is too sticky, add more flour.
4. Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll.
5. Cut into desired shape.
6. Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 30-40 minutes.
7. When treats are done baking, shut off oven and allow them to cool inside. This will harden the treats.
8. Store in refrigerator.
Recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com
There’s nothing like a hearty, home cooked meal to warm your heart. Your dog will love these simple yet scrumptious dog biscuits, full of homemade goodness!
1/2 cup Chicken (cooked and shredded)
1/2 cup Peas (cooked and mashed)
1/4 cup Carrots (shredded)
1/2 cup Chicken Broth
1 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl combine all ingredients until well mixed.
3. Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes with the cutter of your choice.
4. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheets and poke with a fork to prevent air bubbles. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
5. Cool and refrigerate.
Optional: Brush the treats with egg whites before baking for a shiny effect.
- Recipe courtesy of doggydessertchef.com
These delicious dog treats are healthy, inexpensive, and easy to make! What’s not to love?!
2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 cup of rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup of wheat germ
½ cup of cooked quinoa or other seeds such as pumpkin
1 cup of no salt or low sodium chicken broth
½ cup of water
- 2 tbs of dry milk powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- You can use All Purpose Flour if you like, whole wheat is just healthier
- If your dog is allergic to chicken, you can use beef or veggie broth as long as it’s low or no sodium and doesn’t contain onions.
- You can add a small amount of dried fruit or berries but not raisins! Dogs are allergic to raisins and grapes
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
3. Break the egg into another mixing bowl. Add the water and the
chicken broth and stir together until blended.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir. Let this mixture sit for about 20-30 minutes.
5. Cut a large sheet of parchment paper to the size of your baking sheet.
6. Sprinkle some flour on the parchment and rub some on your rolling pin. Drop your granola ball onto the surface and start rolling it out. You’ll want them to be about a ½ inch thick. Cut them into bars or smaller pieces, depending on the size of your dog.
7. If you want them to be a bit shinier, you can brush them with egg whites before you bake them.
8. Place them directly onto your ungreased baking sheet and bake them at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes. If you’d like the bars to be crunchier, as opposed to chewy, turn off the oven and leave them inside for a few hours to harden.
9. Let cool and serve!
(Recipe courtesy of mydogsbreakfast.com)
Help your hot dog beat the heat with this quick and easy popsicle recipe! These are not only simple to make, they are also a healthy way to satisfy your furry friend’s sweet tooth during the warm summer months. These delicious treats will not only make your dog drool – They’re tasty for humans too!
• One 8oz container of plain yogurt
• 1 cup strawberries, hulled
• 1 banana, peeled and chopped
• 1 tablespoon honey
1. Using a blender, puree all of the ingredients.
2. Add enough water to make the mixture pourable.
3. Pour into ice cube trays or popsicle molds.
4. Freeze until solid, which takes around 4 to 5 hours. Enjoy!
(Recipe courtesy of bestbullysticks.com)